Two days ago the NY Times reported the FAA had recieved 52 warnings about suicide airline hijackings and did nothing.
According to the story by Eric Lichtblau:
"Among other things, the report says that leaders of the FAA received 52 reports from their security branch that mentioned bin Laden or al Qaeda from April to Sept. 10, 2001. Five of the reports specifically mentioned al Qaeda's training or ability to conduct hijackings, the report said. Two mentioned suicide operations."
Of course, Condi never heard of any of it right? Oh, yeah, she did remember hearing about after she was about to testify before the 9/11 commission.
Naturally, as she wrote in her Op_ed piece in the Washington Post "Before Sept. 11, we closely monitored threats to our nation. President Bush revived the practice of meeting with the director of the CIA every day -- meetings that I attended. And I personally met with George ["Slam Dunk."] Tenet regularly and frequently reviewed aspects of the counterterror effort."
Right. Except now there is another memo out there that the administration was sitting on all this time revealling that Richard Clark wrote a very scary memo about sleeper cells within the U.S. and spelled out a plan to fight Al-Quaeda.
WASHINGTON, Feb. 11 - A strategy document outlining proposals for eliminating the threat from Al Qaeda, given to Condoleezza Rice as she assumed the post of national security adviser in January 2001, warned that the terror network had cells in the United States and 40 other countries and sought unconventional weapons, according to a declassified version of the document.
Nearly nine months before the Sept. 11 attacks, the papers described the danger posed by the bin Laden network and sought to focus the attention of the new administration on what to do about it. But the texts are unlikely to resolve the debate over whether they should have led to more urgent action by the administration.
"No Al Qaeda plan was turned over to the new administration," Dr. Rice wrote in an op-ed article [Link above] for The Washington Post last March. She wrote that Mr. Clarke and his team "suggested several ideas, some of which had been around since 1998 but had not been adopted."
One wonders what has to be done to get Condi moving. "Bin Laden determined to attack U.S." apparently wasn't "actionable" enough either.
She says "The president wanted more than occasional, retaliatory cruise missile strikes. He told me he was "tired of swatting flies." As Bob Kerry ask at the commission hearing "what flies was he swatting? How could he be tired?"
What had they done before 9/11?
Read more of the memo and see if it was just "more than a laundry list of ideas simply to contain al Qaeda or "roll back" the threat.
We judged that the collection of ideas presented to us were insufficient for the strategy President Bush sought."
What ideas did Condi have? Apparently none.